Bail for Immigration Detainees (BID) is an independent charity that exists to challenge immigration detention in the UK, by providing free legal advice, information and representation to thousands of people held in detention across the UK. We are looking for people to join our Board of Trustees, helping to shape our future plans and strategy.
Who we are
BID believes that asylum seekers and migrants in the UK have a right to liberty and access to justice and should not be subjected to immigration detention.
The UK is the only country in Europe with no time limit on detention, and migrants can be separated from their families and held for months or years, with little or no access to legal support.
We exist to challenge immigration detention and increase access to justice for immigration detainees facing deportation through the provision of legal advice, information and representation. Through our research and policy work and strategic litigation, we challenge existing detention policy and practice as well as pressing for an end to detention.
What skills do you need to have?
We expect our Trustees to share BID's aims and objectives, and feel you can make a contribution to our future plans and strategy. We are particularly looking for experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Fundraising (including development of fundraising strategies and experience in individual giving and trusts/foundations/institutions/corporates)
- Formal legal training, (preferably those who would be willing/able to use their networks to support BID). To ensure we have a diverse range of experience on our Board we also welcome applications from people with an immigration law background and those who have other law specialisms
- Development of IT systems
BID particularly encourages applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates and people with lived experience of detention.
Trustees are expected to attend regular board meetings (every two months) and the Annual General Meeting. Trustees are also encouraged to participate in other meetings that may be convened from time to time, such as strategic planning meetings and/or board sub-committees.
For more information about our work go to: www.biduk.org
If you would like to talk the Chair, Maggie Pankhurst, please e-mail Maggie to arrange a time. [email protected]
To apply to become a trustee of BID please e-mail Maggie explaining:
- why you would wish to become a trustee of BID
- what skills and experience you would bring to the work of the board
Please include the following in your e-mail
- the names and contact details of two references
- your full name, address and phone number
- CV (optional)
The closing date for applications is 12th April 2021.
We would hope to interview applicants by mid May.