The Ex-Detainee Project (run by Samphire, formerly Dover Detainee Visitor Group)
Samphire is a charity which is independent of the UK Government. It runs a project to help ex-detainees access housing, legal representation, health-care and welfare support in their local areas. The project is nationwide, and where possible Samphire seeks to help ex-detainees who have been held in any of the UK's Immigration Removal Centres.
What the project does:
- Provides general advice after release from detention
- Reimburses travel expenses to reporting centres, doctors, hospitals, dentists, lawyers, etc.
- Provides emergency accommodation and emergency food vouchers
- Provides clothes or vouchers to buy some clothes
- Organises an annual conference on ex-detainee needs and issues to serve as a forum for information exchange and the establishment of best practice guidelines
Call the project on: 0800 9179397 orc01304 201 535 (these advice lines are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 10.00 and 13.00)
Send the project a text message: 07714 490981
Email the project on: email@example.com